Want What God Wants
Submitted by Frank Williams
September 18, 2023
Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
People do not always want the same thing. Sometimes, we are faced with clear decisions between right and wrong. In such cases, we either choose to stand firm for what is right, or we compromise in some fashion or another.
Do we stop to consider the will of God in the situation? If it is a plain right or wrong decision, it is easy to see we should choose the right. If it is a good, better, best decision, it may require some prayer, study, and meditating to discern God’s will.
As Christians, we should be checking our motives and asking, “Do I want what God wants?” One clear example of doing this is related to what Paul wrote to Timothy: 1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
God has a desirous will to see people saved. So the obvious questions are, Do I want all men to be saved? Do I want to see people trust the Lord Jesus as their Saviour? Is this desire really a priority in my life?
There are at least three indicators to see if we want what God wants in this area:
1. We will be praying for lost people to be saved. 1 Tim 2:1-4 makes this a priority, as it says “first of all” then exhorts us to pray for all. The context connects this to God’s desire that all be saved. Do I include the lost in my prayer life?
- 1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
2. Are we willing to share our faith with others? We must be ready to go and to give the Gospel to lost people. The Lord may send us to someone as close as family and friends, or as far away as another country—or, anywhere in between.
3. A sure sign that we want people to be saved is how we invest our money. It is a wise investment to give our money by supporting missionaries, who preach the gospel and plant churches. It’s a pretty strong indicator, that we want what God wants.
- Mt 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
CONSIDER: God wants to see folks saved. Do you?